top of page
Dark Background

Questions and Answers

Whom am I asked to serve?

Providers may opt-in to provide therapeutic support:

  • Active guard and reserve service members, veterans, and their loved ones

  • Domestic Violence victims, sexual assault victims, child abuse victims, trauma victims, victims with lack of insurance or no insurance.

  • Those affected by natural disasters and man-made tragedies such as mass shootings or bombings, hurricanes, covid, and loss

  • Regional and State programs such as EDRT (victims of crime, those involved in the justice system)

Providers may opt-in to provide non-therapeutic support:

  • Sharing expertise on topics such as grief, loss, and trauma

  • Participate or lead peer-to-peer support groups

  • General presentations to help other mental health providers who have  interns and need supervision


Holding Hands

Am I offering an hour? Or how many sessions am I required to offer?

The FFT Helping Others commitment for therapy is one hour of your services per week, per the FFT Helping Others client you accept.

FFT Helping Others providers should treat paying, and pro-bono clients in the exact same manner, offering help until it is clinically appropriate to terminate care.

You may also volunteer at conferences, resource fairs, or other events while waiting for a client to contact you.


Therapy Session

What are the licensing requirements for mental health providers?


As of 2022, FFT Helping Others welcomes provisional licensed providers in the network. FFT encourages professional autonomy: All licensing board verifications are the responsibility of the license holder and supervisor.  

  • You must have graduated from your Master’s Program

  • You must have secured your supervisor. Your supervisor does not have to be registered with FFT Helping Others

  • You must be willing to inform FFT Helping Others clients of your provisional status and provide them with your supervisor's information

  • You must carry appropriate liability insurance


  • You must be in good standing with your licensing board for two consecutive years.

  • Social workers must have the highest license the state requires to practice independently. It varies from state to state, but generally, the abbreviation is LICSW, LCSW, or LCSW-C.

  • Professional counselors must have the highest license the state requires to practice independently. It varies from state to state, but generally, the abbreviation is LPC, LMHC or LCPC.

  • Pastoral counselors must be licensed as such or a fellowship level member of the American Association of Pastoral Counselors.

  • Psychologists must have a doctorate and a license to practice.

  • Marriage and family providers must have an LMFT.

  • Psychiatrists must have an M.D. or a D.O. with proper accreditation in psychiatry.

  • Psychiatric nurses, drug and alcohol counselors, and other mental health professionals not covered here must follow their state’s regulations for proper licensing.



How am I asked to serve?

  • In-person Counseling: We recognize that in-person support is standard within the mental health community. However, we also recognize that this may not be feasible for everyone.

  • Video Counseling: We encourage using HIPAA-compliant platforms when an individual cannot meet in person with a provider.

  • Telephone Support: We understand providers will rely on their professional judgment to determine if phone support is sufficient to meet the individual’s mental health needs.

  • Outreach and Engagement: We provide opportunities for providers to serve their communities by engaging, recruiting, and educating others about FFT Helping Others, and their services through several of our initiatives.


Sign Up

I have been contacted by someone outside of Florida state, or (states) in which I am licensed. Am I allowed to help them?

The answer to this question varies from state to state and is changing rapidly. Please get in touch with the appropriate licensing entities for the most up-to-date information.

It also varies on statutes, limitations, and dual license issues. Please visit the individual state mental health statutes to ensure what you can and cannot do or follow links below.

ASWB State Requirements Database 

LMFT licensing resource


ASPPB PSY|Book: Psychology Licensing Requirements



Team Building Session

Do I need to fill out forms or report to you if I have a client ?

When a client requests a referral, the provider receives an email notifying them of the request. Providers must log in to their profiles to accept, change, or deny the request. We ask you to keep track of your donated hours and relay this information to us. In addition, we ask that you make your profile unavailable when your FFT Helping Others client load is full.

The FFT Helping Other client has insurance is it okay to charge insurance?

If a client requests or approves utilizing their insurance with no copay or sliding scale, FFT Helping Others provider may accept this as payment. If clients cannot pay, do not pressure them to do so. Participating in our program means you are willing to provide pro bono sessions without regard for insurance or the ability to pay. It would be inconsistent with our mission to charge someone who has indicated an inability to pay for FFT Helping Others sessions.

Couples Therapy
bottom of page